Thursday 23 August 2012

not a good wife, not a good person

I am not a good wife. I wouldn't like me as a wife if I was the husband. There's a song on my ipod shuffle called help me love. I can't find the lyrics anywhere to write out here. I used to listen to it over and over again trying to soak up the words and hope they'd help me be a better wife. I have all intentions to be but stuff just gets in the way. Or the feeling of well he doesn't do such and such for me so why should I? but I should try harder. I try hard with my friends, so why not with him. He's the father of our children. He's the one I will be with for the rest of my life.
Then I tell people that his daughter has moved in with us full time and due to what we have been through the reaction I get is wow, what a good person you must be. Or wow, you're a good mum to do that I don't think I could. But I am not trying to be a good person by doing it. I am not doing it for brownie points (that would be too draining in fact as I would have to be fake every day). It was one of those things that was truly placed in our hands and we accepted it. A month ago I would no way have been a "good person". If anyone said chatterbox was to move in I would have run a mile. I contemplated moving out with the kids if that ever happened. See, a good person would not be so spiteful. A good person would have taken it in their stride and done the best for the child involved and pushed their fears and bad feelings aside. Instead I swear i was blinded, manipulated and brainwashed by dh's ex. I know that sounds stupid. But she really placed the seed of doubt. She did her best to water it. I thought I was being a good person by trying to help her and dh communicate about chatterbox. In fact I was getting sucked in by a person with not very good intentions and was becoming a not very nice person at all. But I still thought I was doing the right things because I felt sorry for his ex being a single parent and dealing with chatterbox alone. I should have instead been a good person and good wife and stuck by my husband. Not let BM drive a knife through us. The knife is gone now. BM has moved away and things seem different. I don't feel the resentment. With that gone I do hope to become a better wife.
linking with Things I can't say for Pour Your Heart Out and twinkle in the eye for Flash Blog Friday

5 comments:

  1. I am sorry you don't feel like a good mom! I read a post on http://prettywittycheerful.blogspot.com/ blog that has really helped me get some confidence in my role as a wife and mother :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you don't feel like you're good enough. A lot of us wives and moms feel that way. And you're not a bad person for not wanting his daughter to move in. (I've met a lot of kids I don't really like.) There's nothing wrong with wanting a little respect and happiness for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good person doesn't mean a perfect person.Don't be so hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If every day we try our best it is all we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All we can do is keep trying. I used to tell myself I had a fresh start every day. But we truly have a fresh start every minute, every second. And the day is never too far gone to try and be a better person. Remember that we are all only humans and no one can be perfect!!

    ReplyDelete